Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Great Deal

I know in todays world we are supposed to hate Wal*Mart but I have to say I love it! If you can get past the occasional funk it really is the cheapest place to get groceries. I also find it strangely therapeutic wandering the isles of a store late at night sans kinds. I feel sorry for those of you who live in the Red state of California where  boycotting the construction of Wal*Mart Supercenters is common practice. Well, last night was no exception. Apparently if you do your shopping around midnight, when they are pulling meat that has met its "sell or freeze by date", you can get a killer deal. No pun intended. I got a thirty dollar brisket for eight dollars and a chipotle bbq pork loin for three dollars. I froze them when I got home to use for future meals. I do have a dilemma I have never cooked brisket. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

emily w. said...

I too am trying to rekindle my love for Wal Mart. I just got some great markdowns on boneless skinless chicken breasts and turkey cutlets yesterday. It's always a good idea to check out the markdowns and stock your freezer.

I would definitely talk to Aunt Laura about brisket. It seems to be the official food of Texas. She made it while she was here and it was delicious. All I remember was that it involved a spice rub and some heavy duty foil. Very easy.

Mom/Linda said...

Absolutely--your Aunt Laura is the go-to gal for brisket! All I know is that it cooks low and slow.

I have had similar luck at Albertson's, late at night. They mark down their fried chicken in the deli to like $2.00 for a dozen pieces.

I am looking forward to the day when our local communists run out of appeals and the Wal Mart SuperCenters (2 of them--nearly completed) can open.

KaufusiFamily said...

Smiths does the meat markdown as well. I love to stock up and freeze what I can. I just can't pass up a good deal!