Saturday, August 23, 2008

Getting Crafty In Bakersfield

I finally did it. I have just completed my first quilting project! With a little inspiration from Tennille and technical support from my mom I have managed to create two adorable quilts for my boys. I have always admired the women in my life who can sew and quilt especially my mom, but never thought myself to be cut from the same cloth! (pun intended) Ashton mentioned that one of the things he wanted to do while we are here in Bakersfield was to make a Star Wars blanket! My first thought was Grandma Linda, but then I thought it would be special if the boys had blankets that their mommy made! Thank you Mom for all your teaching and encouragement on this project it may seem simple but this was Big for me. I aspire to be half the homemaker you are! It has been and is always so nice being here and just hanging out with my family. Thank you Sean for once again staying home and working so hard while we take this trip. I love you! Here are a few pictures of me working on them and the finished product. If you can't tell in the picture Ashton's is Star Wars backed with soft green, and Alvie's is John Deer backed with soft green. I got the idea for these from Tenille my sister in law who has made several blankets and quilts for her family.

11 comments:

emily w. said...

Yeah! I'm so proud of you. As a fellow novice sewer I know what a good feeling it is to actually accomplish a project. I'm sure your boys will love those blankets for years to come.

P.S. It's nice to see a new blog entry as well :)

Laura Swenson said...

Cute blankets...cuter kids!

Congratulations, Sarah. I know how cool it is to finish a project. I tend to be a "starter".

Eliza said...

Very cute blankets. You have officially made two more quilts than I have. Keep up the posts I love seeing pictures of your cute family!

Merrill's said...

Congrats!! My boys would die to have a Star Wars and John Deere tractor blankets. You are so domestic. Can't wait for Tuesday for Bunko. We are going to book our tickets that night for Thriller. See ya soon.

Megan Andersen said...

Cute! What a good mom you are!! Those will be herloims that your boys will have forever--I bet you even see your grand babies wrapped up in those!!!

Shelly Ence Family said...

Good job Sarah!!! Which reminds me... I slipped that quilt top of your grandmas in the diaper bag when the boys stayed over... I can't remember if I told you what Roberts mom said to do with it or not.. the measurements of things are on a piece of paper set inside with the quilt top. Call me and I'll explain. Also Robert and I have got a blogspot now... robertandshellyence.blogspot.com And also Todd and Alesi have one... it's toddandalesi.blogspot.com
The quilts look good, Shelly

Brittney Sloan Anderson said...

Yeah I didn't know you had a blog. I just barely started mine like 2 weeks ago. I think about you guys all the time, we seriously have got to get together. I haven't seen Alvie since he was 2 months And I keep telling Sean that I will cut his hair. When you get back we will have to have a BBQ. Miss ya!!!

KaufusiFamily said...

I love the quilts. They turned out SO nice and they look SO cozy! Good job! Let's get together and make something else.

Taylor Tribe said...

Good job Ms. Martha Stewart you! The blankets look great...I want to grow up & be just like you & Tenille...& be like all crafty and all. Hope you are enjoyin time with your family.

Julie Flowers said...

Those blankets are so cute... I saw your comment on britt's blog and decided to check yours out I hope you don't mind... I hope you guys are doing well! Check us out at julieandbucky.blogspot.com

Julie Flowers said...

Yah.. you can add us cause I added you so I hope that's fine. I really should make blankets like those I was looking at them again... and Gabe kept making me go back to that picture of Ashton all green he thinks it's pretty sweet.